Media Project

The most useful thing I gained from this media project was that so many different goals can be addressed in just one therapeutic activity as long as the activity is dynamic and well thought out. I also realized that my knowledge or “OT think” is invaluable; Paula is someone’s former colleague, wife, mother, and grandmother and she deserves more than just sitting in a wheelchair doing armband exercises of stuck behind an arm-bike with no autonomy. She is a former history professor and enjoyed reading through manuscripts. Those interests can be used as motivation for her during the session so she can continue doing those things that are most meaningful to her. 

I enjoyed being challenged in this assignment and to think outside of the “pediatric” realm of how my brain has been used for the past six years. It is easy to think about fun little games for kids, but never would I want my adult/geriatric client to think that I was “babying” them. This project required me to step into someone else’s shoes and think of something that would be challenging yet entertaining for them. I learned more about Paula and how she thinks while looking up historical figures and trivia, something I never really excelled at during grade school myself. 

This assignment will help me in the future to think about the OT evaluation process, the intervention process as well as how to address specific goals (and writing goals). Everyone has a back story and it will not be nicely given to us like in this assignment but instead will be my job to unearth my client’s life and figure out who they are besides diagnosis and a name. I will be able to think about everyday items in a new light and be resourceful in how I approach intervention.

Retrieved from: bedbathandbeyond.com
I chose to do a history trivia game because of Paula's interest in history and her love of reading/writing. Paula has decreased visual acuity so this trivia game, when done sitting at a table will challenge her to visually scan for the card that matches the description I have read to her. Paula also has tremors in her right hand when engaging in purposeful activity, this activity will likely activate that but a weighted armband can be used to help decrease the tremor, Paula can also use her non-dominant hand for this activity. Paula wishes to get back to possibly emailing her colleagues and her husband, this would be a good activity to work on fine motor control (grabbing the small card) as well as visual acuity and reading text (the name of each person is printed on the back of each card). 

Retrieved from: 
https://bootheels33.wordpress.com/2013/04/03/when-p-was-for-parkinsons-disease/
Paula also has issues staying upright in a seated position for longer than five minutes. This activity will take longer than five minutes therefore, we can work on prolonged sitting and attention while engaging in something exciting and meaningful to her. She has been a little hostile towards workers and other residents at the nursing home which is quite unlike her but maybe if she is able to work on her trunk control and posture, she can sit long enough to engage in a group activity with the other residents because this is a long term stay at the Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF). Good trunk control and more coordinated movements are crucial for functional mobility as well as lower body dressing and since Paula has been frequently falling as well as not being able to dress or put her shoes/socks on, these skills can be generalized across multiple occupations that Paula engages in. 

The activity works on multiple skills that Paula needs to increase as well as maintaing skills that she still currently has like cognition, sensation, hearing and perception. It can be adapted to multiple different locations (table/bed) and can be played with two people (Paula could probably teach me a thing or two) that way it doesn't feel as though the power is in my hands and she is being tested. If Paula understands the concept of the game and enjoys playing it, it can be used to maintain the steps of varying skills like in what order do you brush your teeth or put the groceries away, etc.

Below I have attached a picture of my poster presentation as well as my history trivia game. 


Ice Cube Trivia Game
Poster 






















Until next time,
Sam the Student

References:

Pettinger, T. (2018). Famous historical people. Retrieved from www.biographyonline.net


Comments

Popular Posts